Packaging supplies are necessary for organising and moving your stuff. They’re useful for people who are moving residences and need an easy way to transport their things. They can also be used to make storage easier and clutter-free. Here’s how to get them.
How much stuff do you have?
The first thing you should consider is how much stuff you’re planning to pack. These boxes come in a variety of sizes. You want to pick a size that’s fit for your needs. However, it can be hard to pick the right box without organising your stuff first. This is why it’s a good idea to tidy up a bit before packing your stuff.
Group together alike items to make the job easier. All kitchen equipment and tools should be in one area whilst living room knick-knacks should be in another. This will give you an idea of how big – and how many – boxes you should buy. Grouping together similar items will also help you organise. Should you get to your new house, it will be easier to unpack, since you know where everything will go.
It’s also a good idea to separate things that need special care. These are usually:
- Fragile Items – You want a separate box for all your fragile belongings. This way, the movers know to take extra care when transporting them. This includes fine chinaware, vases and any other glassware.
- Extra Care Items – Extra care items aren’t necessarily breakable, but they need to be stored in the right conditions. If you’re packing up your stuff for storage, this is particularly important. Common extra care items include:
- Papers, documents and books – These are prone to pests, which can eat away at the pages. They can also get damaged in moist areas. They’re best kept in dark, dry places.
- Leather – Leather is strong, but only when it’s maintained properly. They can crack when exposed to moisture for long periods of time. They should be kept in dry areas as well.
- Wood – Wood is another material that’s sensitive to its environment. They can warp when they get too much moisture. However, they can also crack if the area is too dry. To add to this, they can get damaged in temperatures that are too low or too high. If you’re planning to leave wood items in storage for long periods of time, it’s best to invest in controlled rooms.
If you need a place to store your things temporarily whilst you’re relocating, contact iStore Self Storage. They also provide packaging supplies to keep your belongings sealed and intact.
Make a checklist
Now that you have your stuff sorted out, it’s time to make a checklist of the packing materials you need. Common items include boxes, packing tape and markers. For those with fragile items, you should include bubble wrap on the list as well. This will protect your glassware inside the container, preventing breakage.
If you’re hiring a company to move your belongings, you’re in luck. Most service providers will provide these materials completely free with their packages. This is the easiest way to get the job done. Not only will you have your materials – you’ll get someone to pack, transport and unload your things as well.